Saturday, July 21, 2012

Angry cop was angry.

So I just had an interesting encounter with a very angry police officer.

I was driving on 75, when I passed a vehicle. I was not the fastest driver on the road, and frankly I was going about the flow of traffic speed. Said vehicle was following close behind another car. As soon as I pass the vehicle (and this passing was not done close the other car, nor at a fast speed), the car pulls out quickly behind me and turns their police lights on.

Great.

The guy is ON MY FUCKING ASS, driving like an asshole, as I'm pulling over. I can't slow down as fast as I'd like once I'm on the shoulder, because he's ON MY ASS. So I come to a stop, and instead of getting behind me he pulls up next to me. I figured he's gonna yell at me and drive off, or maybe tell me my back light is out. I roll my window down and get greeted with "WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING" yell at me in the most unexpectedly abrasive and angry manner. I am very thrown off by this reply, and it takes me a moment to say in my most humble, yet confused, voice "I'm just trying to get home sir."

At my comment, rage explodes on his face and he grabs his radio, and yells at me "I'm on the way to an accident call, but I'm going to call another officer so he can take care of this." He calls but waits and gets no reply. He starts yelling to me again: "I'm on my way to an accident, and your stupid ass decides to blow right by a state trooper car. What the hell is wrong with you." He looks at me and I have nothing to say, because I am truly dumbfounded by this insane amount of animosity this guy is throwing at me. I'm also at a loss for what to do or say, because while I've been able to talk my way out of tickets before, this guy just opened up with hostility and irrationality. So I don't say anything but he immediately responds with "ANSWER ME!" I say "I'm sorry officer" and he doesnt let me finish talking, interjecting with "OH LET ME GUESS YOU DIDNT KNOW HOW FAST YOU WERE GOING." I reply (VERY calmly) that I did not say that. He said something else which I forgot and I reply again with "Officer I'm sorry but I never said that." He flips and screams "I cannot believe your goddamned attitude" and opens his door, slams it and comes over and asks for my ID. He takes it (doesn't take insurance or anything else and gets back to his car). He radios for a check on my license and starts mumbling to himself outloud again about how he cannot believe my attitude and how I'm wasting his time and he has an accident to go to.

At this point I'm starting to realize the internal war being waged in this guys mind...should he continue to fuck with me and make my life hell because I happened to pass his car (even though there were other cars driving the same speed and faster) while he was in the middle of having a titty fit, or get to the accident that he has already responded to. Those 20 seconds or so took forever, and he finally gets out of the car and hands me back my license.

He ask if I've had any tickets in the last 6 months. I say no, and he goes "Well you better damn not be lying, because when I check later if you do I'm going to issue a warrant for your arrest." He slams his door again, and then cuts me off as he gets back on the road.

If I'm going to get a ticket, I'm going to get a ticket. Like I said I've gotten out of them before but it's just inevitable sometimes. This guy has some serious anger issues, and I really hate the fact that people like this are out there enforcing laws. Obviously I caught him at a bad moment...but no police officer should ever allow those emotions to run so wild as to misuse their power. Granted, this wasn't a big deal and he left me alone, but I am just talking in generalities.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a follow up...I had a lot of people telling me to report the guy. Unfortunately, at the time I thought asking him his name would be a bad idea, because the line between him being a dick and leaving me alone was being tread so finely and any sort of interaction like that would have set him off. I also neglected to memorize his license plate (although it definitely said State trooper or something like that) in the confusion of the moment.

    I fucked up...I'm usually pretty good with that kinda stuff but this guys brazen misuse of his power and complete irrationality left me flabbergasted.

    ReplyDelete