Wednesday, August 1, 2012

ATTN Chick Fil A bandwagon protesters:

A few things for you to note...
1) First off, Chick-Fil-A's gay-unfriendliness is nothing new. They have contributed to their Winshape organization (which has then in turn contributed to some other gay-unfriendly organizations) for many years now. This is nothing new, so cool your angry jets.
2) If you want to take a stand, that is more than fine. Just make sure you do your research before jumping on angry "we are being repressed" bandwagons. By recent interactions, I know a lot of you that are calling for CFA "boycotts" are working under the bare minimum of information on the matter. You are just mad at recent events. READ UP ON THINGS BEFORE YOU START YELLING AT PEOPLE.
3) This "if you like Chick-Fil-A" we can't be friends business, is really dumb, and a poor showing of where your priorities lie...basically, you value over-emotional attachments to causes over rationale, and what real friendships consist of.
4) Most of these protesters lie on the more liberal side of things, so you can understand this: You don't like when a Christian claims you are a bad person for not believing in Christianity, correct? It's ignorant of them, and how dare they try to push their values on us, right? Well, same thing applies to this "if you eat at Chick fil a you are a bad person/not my friend" mentality: you are now forcing someone to accept your views wholeheartedly, or face being rejected by you. Obviously there are more complications in this case, but the core principle remains the same.


Long story short...if you have a problem with Chick fil A and you have thoroughly researched the cause of that and want to boycott them...that's great. You are even entitled to attempt to share your cause.

You are NOT, however, entitled to
shove it down my throat. You are NOT entitled to cast aspersions on my character and imply I am not a good person due to my refusal to boycott said company. You are also not entitled to put my friendship with you into question due to this matter. (i speak not in terms of "free speech" here, but rather in terms of "being a good, rational person" and "being a good REAL friend")

Have some sense. I've said this before, and I will say this again, I am friends with all of you because you are all generally NOT idiots. Don't start now, please. =]


And for the record, I think Dan Cathy is a goddamned (see what I did there?) idiot. Aside from his comments themselves being something I disagree with, he had no business speaking of his family and company's viewpoint on this matter. Not th
at he shouldn't be allowed to speak his mind just because I disagree with it, but rather that I think a fast food restaurant is a business. Any religious/family/etc ideals should be kept internally because at the end of the day, serving someone chicken as a christian is not inherantly different than serving them as an atheist, agnostic, jew, etc.

It should not be "would you like a side of jesus with that sandwich."

That being said, I enjoy their food. I will continue to eat it. Maybe not as much as I used to. Maybe my position will change, and I will feel a stronger need to not support them. For now though, I don't see and issue with it, and you really shouldn't give me shit about it, and imply I'm not a good person or friend because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment